Sunday, April 17, 2011

Design (Sunday Scribblings)

So I watching Mother Angelica yesterday. No, I'm not Catholic. It's a pretty long complicated story behind it but to safe space...I was watching Mother Angelica yesterday. She said that it was inconceivable to her how a person can say, "I don't have a soul. There is no heaven or hell." She said the ability of a person to say he or she has a soul is proof positive that there is one. Human Beings being created in the image of God, therefore have the ability to think, create and such as opposed to animals who don't. I'm paraphrasing here. Although I'm not sure if I agree with the Mother's evidence and reasoning, it sent me off on a trail of thought.

Growing up in a conservative Christian background it was a phrase you heard quite often, "created in God's image." I even worked in a program named that. You are created by God, you are part of God's plan, part of his grand design and He has a purpose for you in his divine plan. It made you feel special, like you were a chosen person and although it can be argued that is true it did not seem to extend outside of our Christian circle. God didn't seem to be required to have a plan for the Buddhist or the Atheist although if pushed any person would have to admit God created them as well.

There was a song we used to sing in Sunday School. I've been thinking a lot lately about all those old songs. They don't seem to sing them much anymore. I don't remember all the words to this particular one but it went something like...

He's still working on me
To make me what I hope to be
It took Him just the week to make the moon and stars
The sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars
But He's still working on me
To make me what He wants me to be

Now besides the fact that this song seems to imply that God cannot fix humanity quickly...I don't know, it always rubbed me the wrong way. Why didn't God just make me the way He intended me to be from the getco? I could go off onto a spiel about free will, etc. but I will leave that for another time because where is my free will if He already has a "grand design" for humanity. 

But God, if you are up there and you designed me for a purpose I have many qualms with how that has played out so far because from this vantage point my purpose seems mostly to keep trucking as best I can while you and everyone else tries to beat me down again and again. To be blunt, you seem to have a crappy design scheme, I mean look at this world. Yes, yes, I know, free will. Free will is the answer for everything. No actually it's not. If someone GAVE you free will, is it really your will? If someone is ALLOWING you to choose for yourself are you really the one making the choice? It's like Big Brother herding you into a trap. But once again I'm digressing.

I don't think I could do much better as the Goddess of the world. Especially since I can't even seem to form this post. I can't recall the points I was going to make. Geez God, my brain design is extremely faulty at times....sigh.


5 comments:

Cynthia M said...

Charming piece....and I can so relate to your final paragraph :)

Amanda said...

Fixing us from the getgo would have been too easy. Oh no, giving people the equipment and letting them do it them selves more fun. ;)

jaerose said...

I guess we are all a 'work in progress'..thinking about it surely does make your head hot! Jae :}

oldegg said...

What a great post! Choice that is the answer, I don't think an ant has much choice, everything is instinctive. For us we choose, often incorrectly but correctly some of the time to keep us advancing to...what?

Reflections said...

Nice reflective piece... asking all the unanswered questions, finding the same answers that so many have. Free will... yes, I think this is us making our own choices, yet we make them without the wisdom of God, or even the wisdom of those who have already passed this way. So are they faulty choices, no, just ones that we can make better of the next time.

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or constructive criticism.