Thursday, June 9, 2011

13 Of My Favorite Poems

1. Sunday Morning by Wallace Stevens
I took a class in college where we studied ten different poems the whole semester so we went pretty in-depth. This as well as the next two were from that class. It makes a lot of difference once you've dissected the piece and really understand it as well as you can. The lovely idea in this poem that heaven is basically earth because what is the greatness in unchanging bliss if there is no death to compare it to is a supremely interesting notion. Favorite Line: Death is the mother of beauty, mystical

2. For the Union Dead by Robert Lowell
A mixture of history and english...me in a nut-shell. I'm so excited to be moving to Boston so I can actually see the Boston Commons and the monument for myself. :)
Favorite Line: Once my nose crawled like a snail on the glass

3. Directive by Robert Frost
A return to simplicity and nature.
Favorite Line: And if you're lost enough to find yourself

4. If by Rudyard Kipling
I memorized this poem for extra credit in sixth grade and can still recite most of it without looking. It is full of wonderful advice.
Favorite Line: If you can dream and not make dreams your master

5. If I Can Stop One Heart From Breaking by Emily Dickinson
A short by wonderful poem.
Favorite Line: I shall not live in vain

6. A Linnet In A Gilded Cage by Christian Rossetti
There is good in every situation, sometimes you just have to look a little bit harder.
Favorite Line: All of them :)

7. The Highway Man by Alfred Noyes
A more popular poem, it's a beautiful story.
Favorite Line: The moon was a ghostly galleon, tossed upon cloudy seas

8. Dreams by Langston Hughes
I wrote this poem inside the door of my dress cabinet in middle school....probably not the best thing for furniture but its lovely and encouraging
Favorite Line: All of them

9. He Who Wishes For the Clothes of Heaven by W.B. Yeats
I had this one taped to my mirror. Yes, I was a dreamy romantic Anne of Green Gables type of child.
Favorite Line: But I being poor, have only my dreams

10. In Memoriam by Lord Alfred Tennyson
This one is really more of a book than a poem.
One of my favorite passages is section seven when Tennyson hesitates in front of Hallam's front door.

Dark house, by which once more I stand
         Here in the long unlovely street,
         Doors, where my heart was used to beat
So quickly, waiting for a hand,


A hand that can be clasp'd no more—
         Behold me, for I cannot sleep,
         And like a guilty thing I creep
At earliest morning to the door.


He is not here; but far away
         The noise of life begins again,
         And ghastly thro' the drizzling rain
On the bald street breaks the blank day. 
11. Portia's Speech from The Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare

 A classic of course. I once recited this for a theater class in high school
Favorite Line: It droppeth as gentle rain from heaven

12. In Memory of W.B. Yeats by W.H. Auden
Auden struggles with his impressions of Yeats as well as the purpose of his own calling as a poet.
Favorite Line: You were silly like us, you're gift survived it all

13. When I Was One-and-Twenty by A.E. Houseman
Tomorrow I turn twenty-three and "tis true, tis true" :)

Thursday 13

6 comments:

Cindy Swanson said...

It's been a while since I've really read poetry, and your post made me want to do it more. I'm familiar with just a few of the poems you listed. Great post!

Hope you'll check out my list:

Cindy at Notes in the Key of Life

Joyce said...

A lovely idea for Thursday Thirteen!

Adelle Laudan said...

Great list. I wish I had the gift for poetry. Thanks for sharing. Happy T13!

princessr9 said...

Great idea for a list! Thank you for stopping by!

JO said...

lovely poems

Ashe xx said...

These are all really nice poems!

tenblackr0ses@swap-bot

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or constructive criticism.